Friday, February 15, 2008

Holding Fast

This past week I was doing a devotional with my kids when the Lord gave me great encouragement through Daniel. In Chapter One of the book of Daniel, it reveals how Daniel listened to the conviction of the Spirit to abstain from parts of a lifestyle had been designed for him.

He had been taken prisoner by Nebuchanezzer along with 49 other top ranking Jewish young men after Babylon had taken over the Jewish land. First Nebuchanezzar ordered that they be made Eunichs to remove their strength, then he proceeded to educate them for 3 years to try to indoctrinate them into the Babylonian culture. He brought them near to his rule to keep close watch over them, but also in an attempt to win these young leaders over to embrace his rule. He gave them new names, new identities and fed them the finest fare of the civilization.

God reminded me of truths, that as Daniel felt conviction and obeyed the Spirit's leading to go against the grain and say no to food that had been offered as sacrifices to other Gods, God blessed Him with favor, strength, and further gifts of the Spirit (to have and interpret prophetic dreams). Isn't it amazing how difficult it feels to go against the tide of our culture - to stand up and be counted? As I go against the tide of the culture of my own heart and lifestyle during this fast I hold onto the promises that I will reap the blessings of obedience. They look different for every person and circumstance, but they will come. One of the blessings for me is to see how personal God is to specifically encourage me to hold fast to Him.

Give the Lord an opportunity, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Jesus Christ has made a way for each of us and He longs to draw near. Be watching, if you ask Jesus to show Himself to you, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: